Friday 3 April 2020

A Welcome to Fine Press Association members.....

if you are just joining this - I am posting up today about The Ship of Fools that I was supposed to be bringing to the fair, as well as other things....


such as In The Night Garden , which continues the ecological theme discussed in the post below...and was part of an exhibition at Pollocks Toy Museum in Scala Street just before Christmas ( seems a long time ago now) - there was more information and pictures around December posts last year...



I finished gluing up the Ship of Fools today - I don't know about therapeutic,( see yesterday) it seemed to take an awful long time; 12 copies for sale and one for myself, trimming, folding and pasting together as a concertina book - a seemingly easy structure  but actually one the most tricky to get right.
The paper is Somerset Satin etching paper 250gsm and always seems to arrive with parallelogram sheets, they are never square at the corners to start with so it is doom to a concertina book at the best of times, and the wretched things always creep how ever careful you are ....but for all these reasons my books are never designed to be part of a perfectionist aesthetic and as I hand-paint the pages before I print the woodcuts, (previous painter that I am) , and vary the colour on the woodcuts quite freely too using several rollers on one block, each book is going to be slightly different anyway......







The day started late as the computer fan was making a racket last night and I got panicky and phoned technical support ( my daughter) who recommended buying some compressed air from Amazon ( it sounds as if it might be pretty essential), and then my bone-folder was lost under all the piles of cardboard etc, but I found I had an M&S little wooden disposable spoon for takeaways which worked brilliantly, and then all of a sudden it was inescapably lunchtime ( now I am holed up with my Beloved ) ...and there had to be a pause for food...



My studio doubles as the kitchen ( less so when I am on my own) so everything had to be moved down the table - you can see piles of cardboard for cartonera covers piled up on the presses and everywhere else in the distance.....
anyway - I didn't get out to the graveyard until about 6.30pm - nice and quiet then, though tho getting a bit chilly....but it was good to have the job finished so I can start afresh tomorrow....

I will try and post up a new book from the past year or so for a bit from now on , as though the visitors are scanning my stand, and say what is still available for sale;
meanwhile if you are interested in what I am doing currently , try starting at the post for 23rd March, Covid Art Diary starts here...
until you get back here again.....

The Night Garden theatre is still for sale, and the Ship of Fools books soon will be, once I have made the covers - I fancy making some quite elaborate and 3 dimensional ones as well as some cheaper simpler versions...and should have more time now! except that organising food deliveries takes so long..... The Rhyme of the Reddleman's Daughter is now out of print I fear except for the peepshow version - I must finish making the rest of those, and they will now come with a digital facsimile of the original book....
more tomorrow.....

No comments: