Wednesday 25 March 2020

All Sewn Up - more micro ramblings....



Such a lovely sunny day it was hard to find a dark corner to photo these - but all done now. I don't usually do as many cartoneras as 22 at a time but with all this enforced time.....
the last sets were more like 12 I think....

I got excited about some new possible images forming in my mind yesterday evening but today the impetus for continuing sewing up over-rode doing anything about them straight away - I only had a couple more to do....this is called the gumption trap. By the afternoon I realised those murky images lurking in my creative centre were getting fainter, less embodied in my hands and legs - yes legs, I need to roam around looking at stuff and trying things out; in better times I would probably walk down the road not talking to anyone while inside my head it was a ferment ( had to make do with a quick twirl round the graveyard opposite today but now that is getting crowded with desperate walkers and dogs)
 - but though still excited I am putting things off...

this is where the cosily therapeutic of sewing kicks in, and it can also seem so sensible and virtuous, getting it done and finished  ( lordy shouldn't be using that phrase again, tainted forever)
- but it is the gumption trap having a small victory and the creativity suffering.
I could make a whole extrapolation from this, comparing the bourgeois life style, sensible reasoning and getting some sleep, up there with tidiness and cleanliness, with the mad artist in a garret but I won't linger with it....
A propos -I have been reading a wonderful book written in the mid eighties I think by Robert Irwin, The Limits of Vision ( thanks Rose - a wonderful present) - it is very darkly funny and horribly insightful; and very topical as it is all about microbes and obsessions....


but I digress.....

I have another  woman friend, an artist, who once told me she always worked 'cold' - waited to see if an idea lasted and was therefore truly worth doing; its an interesting idea with a logic to it - but I think I operate best on ' hot', for good or ill ( and I am always very hot physically when I am working, the calories burning off the top of my head) although the gumption trap is always lurking, especially first thing in the morning even tho I am a morning person ( as well as a night owl). 
But by the afternoon today I was scribbling some preparatory drawings in my fat notebook and once started didn't want to stop.
It is going to be very hard to post photos as they are very faint and wispy - ideas sometimes so fragile that I am cautious to commit them too firmly to paper before their time; they are imagination stimulators like Leonardo's blots on the walls; James the poet I work with says he is the only person who can extrapolate anything from them at this sort of stage but it is because we are so used to rummaging around in each others heads....
more tomorrow....

No comments: