Tuesday 2 June 2020

The Falconer























I found this block, untested, on the back of another - the Falconer - from way back when I started off these cards and used colours already mixed which seemed just right;
but who is the predator and who the prey.....

I sent this image to my sister-in-law - we exchange images as communication during lock-down and she sends me pictures of her amazing garden - she asked what the story was....
I must say I use my intuition as to the images in my 'tarot' pack and am beholden to no particular system, but I can usually find arguments for inclusion afterwards - I knew there used to be The Falconer as a card in very early packs which was enough to set me off...
 but I checked further today and found he was replaced by The Papesse, and is related also to Mercury the messenger ( an old favourite character of mine) - and also Horus the Egyptian God of the Sky, son of Isis ad Osiris; Horus = God on High, and falcon-headed he is fierce and merciless; he avenged his father's murder
and so stands for the defeat of a false philosophy and the triumph of a true one....
so - great! I knew he needed to be in my wood.... bring on the triumph of the true...

I have always felt a great attraction to falcons and birds of prey particularly, and I did a huge installation many years back called The Falcon Bride - see my archive website....

No comments: