Tuesday 28 April 2020

Rain!

First rain for so long! Bit gloomy.
And stressful! Today a text from mobile saying all Virgin customers have to change their SIM cards for a new one we will be sent  - what timing! Don't they know there are millions of ageing technophobes like me for which this deeply disturbing - I lost half my contacts I did it last time and that was with a son helping, and now we have no-one to help us and currently reliant on our phones for essential supplies - idiots....


The man in the tree is wearing it like a coat;
P and I have photographed each other inside trees like this on our walks around Firle - which seems long ago already
- and I have previously made a whole series of trees wearing coats...

This was the only one that came to hand - the others must be  in my studio...
my strong associations with trees and coats are comfort and protection  ( for further comfort of coats see Colline in  La Boheme singing farewell to his ancient overcoat to pay for Mimi's medicine...)


The lovely thing about this small size work is that I can play with several cuttings - linear like no.3 and therefore more emblematic in playing card style; or more naturalistic like the middle one and the way I cut this tree before; I could hand colour no.3 as I did previous sets, as traditionally in old chapbooks and prints, or print over newspaper,
or play with printing 3 over the middle one in different colours - but it might be better to cut a third version with less detail for that;
now I have all the time in the world- I thought I should be starting a large project but maybe this one is large - but it is just made up of lots of small components...

I could write a post on the cultural implications of different ways of cutting...but maybe another time...

No comments: