Monday 20 April 2020

Suffering Fool


For the next image the camera pulls back a little and the fool looks smaller; the trees are suffering as he is - in sympathy? or because the planet is suffering too?

When discussing woodcutting yesterday I should have said that it is also a relentlessly exposing experience - and shows up any  ambiguous inconsistencies in the drawing, no fudging possible, although the cutting can also produce its own inconsistencies quite interestingly sometimes....  the drawing is only a possible plan and I modify it as I go along...
I haven't finished this one today because I had major wobblies at first as top which way this fool should face - I was was so sure yesterday how to progress, but then the next day, and looking at the mirror image again afresh , always throws up a new ideas and complications - was going right to  left looking back? ( unless you are Asian of course) , today I felt more in favour of him in this particular image going left to right - but today's block needs to be the same direction as yesterdays doesn't it? or perhaps on reflection not....actually once printed ( and reversed) the two fools will be more back to back and it will be more interesting, are if they are making choices, feel more like a maze perhaps...

I should also have long ago shown you the inspiration for the Ship of Fools - the book by Sebastian Brant of the same name (Das NarrenSchyff) with woodcuts by an assortment of people , including Durer it is thought; I was lucky to find a nice Folio Society 'facsimile' in the charity shop... image one (the frontispiece) and 3 (31) are possibly Durer's.....






No comments: