Friday 22 February 2019

Long Man of Wilmington and BABE Artists Book Fair at the Arnolfini Bristol

A good friend introduced me to Nathan James's site:
this week and I was immediately taken back to my Rituals and Relics days of the late 1980's, and even saw the name of my old archaeologist friend Martin Brown mentioned. Nathan is a composer and he is writing a piece about our local Wilmington Giant. He says his aims are, among others, to inspire creative and artistic interpretation of an archaeological phenomenon, evoke relationships with him through examining its place in our social history, and contribute to the genre of contemporary classical music promoting strong themes of time and place. He also thinks he might be a she and has been examining the evidence.
His site also has a sample of his music and you can hear a short radio program made about him recently - have a look and listen - he has written some interesting stuff too....

He was also asking for images of the Long Man for his project and so I dug out some old and rather wobbly slides which I have had digitised recently dating from 1989-90 - with also an very early one dating back to 1969 when I started coming down to Sussex very regularly and getting intoxicated by the green of the downs and the cow parsley in the spring...



This side-wise glance at the chalk figure gives equal attention to the old flint workings around the site and emphasises the chalk  in the foreground from which he is cut - and has of course to be regularly scoured to keep him visible. I think this picture was bought by East Sussex County Council who helped sponsor the Rituals and Relics project together with S E Arts so it must be on an office wall somewhere....
I was also interested in looking at him from the top down, first as a very large charcoal drawing and then as a lithograph with ambivalent textures that almost suggest sky where the sky would normally be expected in the picture but is now upside down.



The next two watercolours again show sidewise views - in the second he is barely distinguishable but you can recognise the chalk paths around him and large fossil sea urchin sits in the foreground ( I think it has all got a bit squashed in digital transit). In the first one a flint I found which looked like a hawk is a levitating presence. I used to walk a lot on the downs  on moonlit nights.




Meanwhile now, I am working for BABE     Artists Book Fair  at the Arnolfini,  Bristol - 30th and 31st March  - always a really enjoyable fair with book artists from far and wide and spread over several rooms with a program of talks and events.

I am turning some of my tarot cards into small decorated packs, see posts below , and also using similar techniques making cheap books to emulate street art ‘cartonera’s from Mexico which I saw recently at an evening event at the British Library - I feel I need to work fast and less preciously as well as record a little of our turbulent times... more printing over old newspapers and recycling old images in new ways....
watch this space 
or better still come to Bristol and see....






No comments: